Did you know that using K Tape is also great for kids!
Take for example my daughter. Weeks ago she came back from playing a soccer tournament. Four games in 5 hours and lots of running around. The following day she was complaining of knee pain, somewhere around her kneecap. After an examination I believed she had a bit of patellofemoral syndrome, an irritation just under the kneecap (patella).
To quote my daughter;
“The tape really helped my knee. Since Daddy put on the tape it has seemed to take away the pain.”
This is only one of many uses for K tape to perform it’s magic. Patellofemoral pain is a common knee problem. If you have this condition, you feel pain under and around your kneecap. The pain can get worse when you’re active or when you sit for a long time. You can have the pain in one or both knees.
With a little bit of blue tape over the kneecap symptoms can cleared up in a few days to a week. Of coarse with children it is so much quicker. They seem to heal faster. But the effects are almost immediate. In the case of patellofemoral syndrome the tape can act as a lifter, if you will, drawing the patella away from the femur thus decreasing irritation. Then the body can heal. Irritation – no healing. No irritation – healing begins.
Benefits of K Tape
- 100% acrylic heat sensitive adhesive/no latex
- Stretches along longitudinal axis only
- Thickness and weight approx. same as skin
- Can be worn for several days, tolerates showering
- Upper extremity lasts 2‐3 days
- Lower extremity lasts 3‐5 days
- Proprioceptively educates a weak muscle (Arndt-Schult Law – weak stimuli activate neurological activity, strong stimuli inhibit) & Hilton’s Law
- Reduces pain through receptor feedback (Golgi tendon)
- Relaxes muscles
- Reduces edema
- Improves ROM
Ask me if K Tape, along with your Neuromuscular Therapy will benifit you.
Peter Roach, RMT, CNMT, Laser Therapist